FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
THE AFFORDABLE HOUSING COUNCIL OF OLYMPIA MASTER BUILDERS ANNOUNCES 2016 CANDIDATE ENDORSEMENTS
OLYMPIA, WA, June 30, 2016 – The Affordable Housing Council (TAHC) of Olympia Master Builders (OMB) is pleased to announce the endorsement of 15 candidates within its five-county service area. Legislative candidates were endorsed based on their voting record on builder issues. Questionnaires were sent to candidates running for local office. TAHC Trustees reviewed each completed questionnaire returned by the candidates.
Each candidate is asked questions that help the TAHC members understand their view on the construction industry’s importance to a healthy economy, economic development, taxes, fees and utility rates, and balancing housing needs with the environment.
“We endorse candidates that have an understanding of the building industry and the positive impact that a healthy housing market has on the local economy,” stated TAHC Chair Mark Shaffer. “We understand that we aren’t always going to agree with our elected officials, but we feel that having open lines of communication is important and this process starts building relationships,” finished Shaffer.
“We had a great response rate from the local candidates this year, and I’d like to personally thank every one of them who took the time to fill out a questionnaire,” said OMB Executive Director Troy Nichols. “Our area is fortunate to have a solid group of individuals running for public office, but now is the time to get involved and get these folks elected.”
The fifteen candidates endorsed are listed below:
- John Hutchings for Thurston County Commissioner, District #1
- Gary Edwards for Thurston County Commissioner, District #2
- Edna Fund and Daniel Keahey for Lewis County Commissioner, District #1 (dual endorsement)
- Randall Ross for Grays Harbor County Commissioner, Position #1
- Randy Neatherlin for Mason County Commissioner, District 1
- Kevin Shutty for Mason County Commissioner, District 2
- State Senator Randi Becker, Legislative District 2
- State Representative Andrew Barkis, Legislative District 2
- State Representative J.T. Wilcox, Legislative District 2
- State Senator John Braun, Legislative District 20
- State Representative Richard DeBolt, Legislative District 20
- State Representative Ed Orcutt, Legislative District 20
- State Representative Dan Griffey, Legislative District 35
- State Representative Drew MacEwen, Legislative District 35
Formed in 1959, Olympia Master Builders is a professional trade association dedicated to improving the construction industry and providing affordable housing for people in all economic segments. OMB provides services in five counties: Thurston, Lewis, Grays Harbor, Pacific and Mason.
Cell: (360) 918-6838